10 Things I Have Learned About Autism ?? Autism Speaks Official Blog
by Kelly Thomas Reardon
Quite recently I took the liberty of making a list of some of the things I have learned about autism through reflection. I then narrowed it down to 10 of my quotes that I feel best express my understanding of the subject. They are???
- Autism can???t define me, only I can define autism.
- Give advice to others in the autistic community through your own experiences.
- If someone calls you ???awkward,??? just know that it means you???re ???unique??? and a lot better than ???ordinary???.
- I???m great at several things and broken in none.
- Ignorance is all around us but awareness is around the corner if we want it to be.
- Feeling sorry for myself will get me nowhere.
- We need to stop labeling and instead integrate, ???people with people??? in our communities who have different needs.
- Inclusion in schools will never mean I???m secluded from an education.
- Autism is not a disease, rather a disability that every day I strive to become an A-bility.
- Communication never takes a vacation.
I love this.